latest glib and gtk+

Hello.

I have a working linux system with glib-1.2.6-3 and gtk+-1.2.6-7 .
It has a working japanese locales and all. I can type in japanese ok.
But whenever i try with latin characters lic accent adn ~ i cant type them or if they are already present, i just see nothing. And each time i have tried to upgrade glib and gtk i got the locales broken. Is it i have to fix something with it?

I have the sources for gtk and glib. My system is based on RH 6.2 .  what else should i need to check? Also, is there a workaround for the latin characters thing? like allow to appear in the same application.

It is possible with netscape and kterm and rxvt and some others, but not with gnomeicu and sylpheed (i.e.)

Any usefull documentation i should read?

Thank you very much.

--
ICQ: 15605359 Bicho
                                  =^..^=