Re: gnome-hackers moderation

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> On 05/14/2009 05:42 PM, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 17:59 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
>>>
>>> Someone recently asked why his subscription request to the
>>> gnome-hackers list was still pending.
>>>
>>> I answered that besides his request, there are currently 24 other
>>> pending subscription requests to the gnome-hackers list.
>>>
>>> I know of no list policy for subscriptions to the gnome-hackers list,
>>> other than the fact that the gnome-hackers list is not an open list
>>> and the list subscription is moderated. But nowhere does it, to the
>>> best of my knowledge, say *how* subscription requests should be
>>> moderated and treated. This is why I leave the gnome-hackers list
>>> subscription request moderation for others to decide, in contrast to
>>> message moderation to the list. There are two other list admins who
>>> perhaps know more than me about the gnome-hackers subscription
>>> moderation policy.
>>>
>> gnome-hackers has always been this way, since it was the private forum
>> for hackers when it was created. Not sure if that still applies, since
>> it is not used that much lately, so not sure what we should do.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> We talked about it during the board meeting today.  We feel that the best
> action at this point is to shut down gnome-hackers and tell everyone to
> subscribe to the open desktop-devel-list instead.  Shout if you object, or
> we'll go forward with this plan next week.

What is the plan for handing security type messages that currently
show up to a private mirror of the gnome-hackers subscribers list?
Err, I guess if you're unfamiliar with how it works, that might not
make sense.  Should I post a refresher explanation here, for the folks
who may have forgotten?
    Greg