Re: GForge instance for GNOME? (Was: Creating SVN repositories)

Or if its administrative/overhead worries,everyone already has
key-based ssh accounts, it would take almost nothing to set up
something like gitweb (like at git.freedesktop.org to some extent) or
the like. Who says we need a full blown sourceforge like system? Lots
of those exist, I feel like the biggest advantage to a low-entry
repository is that we keep people's innovative efforts focused on
Gnome.

I say with that labs would be a unique opportunity to keep pet
projects in the open, things like Macslow's lowfat etc. that were edgy
and innovative, and if they had gotten even 1 or 2 newer dev's
intersted, might have grown into something more viable. These projects
are not on the level where they need a full
bugtracking+mailinglist+webpage+releasetracking+scm in one, they need
a place to dump code, and maybe a few wiki pages, with the most
popular projects jotting down known bugs on the wiki or something
until the project was actaully ready for prime time.

I think this forced departure is actually an advantage, it keeps labs
what it should be, a place to brainstorm, any play, if you have an
active project there, it should be inconvenant and not like a full
Gnome module, thus forcing people try to stay with labs when they are
really ready for a bigger role move on. Sure they might lose 10 or
even 25 revisions of history,(which can be pushed to svn by git, hg,
or bzr ).

I dunno, just been following this conversation trying to think what I
would use it for, so my $0.02, feel free to shoot it down.

Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik

On 4/24/07, Dan Winship <danw gnome org> wrote:
Loïc Minier wrote:
>  Your needs and problems both remind me of alioth.debian.org: the GForge
>  instance for Debian-related projects.  Alioth is the best thing which
>  happened to Debian in the last years: it's trivial for anybody to
>  create an Alioth account, request an Alioth project, request a git /
>  CVS / SVN / mercurial / bzr repository for a group, to setup
>  mailing-lists, to moderate these, to publish tarballs and some web
>  pages!
>  I suppose it's quite some work for the Alioth admin though.

The upside for the GNOME sysadmin team if we did something like this
would be that it would give them an environment where they could test
out svn/bugzilla/mailman/whatever upgrades before rolling them out to
the production servers. When it's time to do an upgrade it, test it out
on "gnome-alioth" first. If something goes wrong with the upgrade on
that server, the "real" GNOME infrastructure would be unaffected. And
then once the new services are working flawlessly on "gnome-alioth", the
admins can be more confident about rolling the upgrade out to the
production svn/bugzilla/etc servers.

-- Dan