Re: Creating SVN repositories

[moving to g-h]

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 13:46 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Federico Mena Quintero">
>
> > I just got pointed to this:  http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos
> >
> > ... and it looks rather bureaucratic.
> >
> > Back in the days of cvs.gnome.org, anyone with an account (already a
> > trusted member of the GNOME community) could create a new project on the
> > CVS server.  People kept little pet projects there; sometimes they turned
> > into real contributions to GNOME, and sometimes they remained as little
> > pet projects.
>
> ... and subsequently, CVS was full of crap. :-)
>
> > In either case, it was polite of GNOME to let contributors use our
> > services freely, since they are already feeding code to the project at
> > large.
>
> I agree, and this is one of the things I've been thinking about related to
> my 'labs.gnome.org' idea. A place for experimentation and folly, that is
> still very much a GNOME sandpit, but without any of the expectations that go
> with it.

The problem with the labs approach is that when a project becomes
successful and wants to "grow up", it has to change repo address.  And
since CVS was full of crap and we didn't trim all the crap, our SVN is
still full of crap already anyway.

Just wanted to note that the labs.gnome.org thing will be highly
appreciated for Summer of Code.  Maybe we can then limit commit access
to main repos to a "gnome-hackers" group.  (and translator access to
po/* only?)

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/