GForge instance for GNOME? (Was: Creating SVN repositories)

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> The problem with the labs approach is that when a project becomes
> successful and wants to "grow up", it has to change repo address.  And
> since CVS was full of crap and we didn't trim all the crap, our SVN is
> still full of crap already anyway.
>
> Just wanted to note that the labs.gnome.org thing will be highly
> appreciated for Summer of Code.  Maybe we can then limit commit access
> to main repos to a "gnome-hackers" group.  (and translator access to
> po/* only?)

 Your needs and problems both remind me of alioth.debian.org: the GForge
 instance for Debian-related projects.  Alioth is the best thing which
 happened to Debian in the last years: it's trivial for anybody to
 create an Alioth account, request an Alioth project, request a git /
 CVS / SVN / mercurial / bzr repository for a group, to setup
 mailing-lists, to moderate these, to publish tarballs and some web
 pages!

 This was implemented on top of the existing cvs.debian.org and
 svn.debian.org infrastructure, as well as Debian user database.

 The end result has been the infrastructure of a lot of development in
 Debian, and it's really a very very nice tool to handle large amounts
 of code projects.

 So, Alioth doesn't suffer from the problem of switching SVN repository
 URLs as it was built on top of the existing infrastructure, and it
 would cover the needs of a labs.google.org quite nicely I think.

 I suppose it's quite some work for the Alioth admin though.

--
Loïc Minier