Re: subversion on cvs.gnome.org (Re: Putting MonoDevelop into gnome's cvs repo)

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:03:23PM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> James Henstridge wrote:
> >Presumably you would want to mirror the subversion repository
> >directly, and access the replica via svn.
>
> Well, that would be ideal - but it pushes the subversion dependency out
> beyond gnome cvs to "clients" of gnome cvs, which is less ideal (more
> stuff to admin).

	While you want one rw-access method for a given project, I don't
think we're discussing wholesale conversion here.  IOW, existing stuff
shouldn't be forced over in one lump.  I was under the impression
we're just discussing using subversion for newly added projects that
specifically want it.
	What we're doing on oss.oracle.com is the subversion repository
is master, with rw access and anonymous ro access (which is free via
mod_dav).  We then, upon each commit, export to an anonymous ro CVS
tree, so people who want anoncvs instead of playing with suvbersion can
get the latest tree.  Our CVS tree is only HEAD, not branches, because
it makes for easier export logic and because, frankly, if people are to
the point of caring about branches, they can pick up subversion.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #30

	"Never buy a house without a fireplace."

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org