Re: Intolerable CVS behaviour

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:

> > People may get killed if you drive too fast with your car. So let's
> > construct all cars in a way that you cannot drive faster then 5 Mph.
> >
> > That's how this how ACL system looks to me.
>
> Cars ship with security belts, to reduce risks.  You are forbidden by
> law to go over some speed limit, because you increase risks.  You are
> forbidden from driving the car while drunk or you will go to jail for
> a few years.  You can not carry weapons in your car or you will go to
> jail.
>
> Your point?

That was my point. In a car, there are no technical means to prevent you
from driving too fast. There are laws which forbit this, but technically
it is still possible to drive too fast.

I meant that we should do the same with CVS; ie. we should have rules which
say what you are allowed to do and what not, but I don't see any need why
we need any technical enforcements of these rules.

However, I'm speaking about normal GNOME contributors, not translators.

I'd also feel a lot better if we could restrict all translators to the po/
directories. From a technical point of view, this is less than 1 hour of work
to implement it. The main task is to walk through the list of CVS accounts
and decide who's a translator and who not.

We can use a regexp for matching file names for this, so that translators
would still be able to commit .desktop files and stuff.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)