Re: translating [was Re: Intolerable CVS behaviour]

Liam Quin wrote:
> > Web translation interfaces are very counter-productive, I love my emacs
> > PO mode.
> What if the web interface lets you upload a .po file?

Still enforces you to shuffle a .po file around, start a crappy buggy
browser etc (and trust not just its file upload feature but also that
your work will actually be committed and not just said to be so by the
web interface).

> There's actually something to be said for contacting the mantainer
> before adding a new language -- what if someone else is already doing it?

Um, if someone else is already doing a particular translation for the
module, there is a po file for that language in the module, isn't it?
Including last-translator info.

> Providing a web interface in _addition_ to current access sounds
> sensible to me.  Mayb eeven better might a gnome translation tool
> with an automatic email facility as well as being able to upload .po's :-)

Sure. A web-based interface in *addition* wouldn't be wrong. This whole
discussion started because Miguel gave the impression that translators
should be forced to use such an interface (something which, as far as I
know, he retarcts in his last message, now he also wants it to be
additional).

Christian