translating [was Re: Intolerable CVS behaviour]

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 07:59:29PM +0100, Almer S. Tigelaar wrote:
> Web translation interfaces are very counter-productive, I love my emacs
> PO mode.
What if the web interface lets you upload a .po file?

> Restricting access
> to /po directories under a module might be acceptable to some. But will
> be impractical if e.g. support for
> a new language is added to an application (translator has to contact
> maintainer to update configure.in, wait for acknowledgement, etc..) .
I think this says two things to me
(1) the languages need to be decoupled from the Makefile, so that you can
    add a new language moer easily;
(2) someone who translates might also be able to do other things --
    it's more important to treat people as individuals than to have
    hard and fast trules.

There's actually something to be said for contacting the mantainer
before adding a new language -- what if someone else is already doing it?

Providing a web interface in _addition_ to current access sounds
sensible to me.  Mayb eeven better might a gnome translation tool
with an automatic email facility as well as being able to upload .po's :-)

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org