Re: GNOME 2.0 planning: A longer range roadmap

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:44:10AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I really think gcolorsel was probably feature complete 2 years ago,
> I'm not sure it needs full-time maintenance! I'm looking at the size
> of the gcolorsel2 and libgcolorsel2 modules and thinking "this is
> something that is massively overengineered." Is this really going to
> help users? I mean, you are _picking a color_. For the GIMP a really
> complex widget might be nice (and they have a custom one). For a
> spreadsheet... come on. I don't think the perfect pale fuschia is
> really required for one's financial report... people want a quick and
> easy way to find "red" I'm guessing. Or maybe "black" for that
> particular kind of report. ;-)

I would tend to agree.  The little colour combo box in GAL with a
call out to GtkColorSelector works quite nicely.  The proposed
bell/whistle of changeable palettes would be nice, but is by no means
a requirement.  As a matter of fact I see that widget as a candidate
for Gtk inclusion.  It is far less complex than even colour selector.

The reason I mention libgcolorsel2 is that it seemed to have an
infrastructure for maintaining collections of palettes and custom
colours.  Should this mechanism be used by the other colour
selection tools too ?