Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 06:10:09PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > SGI's FAM solved this problem by making change-notification a network
> > service that ran on the file server.
>
> They pretended to solve it. In actual fact since the FAM notifiers have
> no idea whether the client has cached old copies and because you cant
> resolve the file handles predictably I dont believe it ever worked reliably.

It's better than nothing; you at least got some notification instead of
not having any idea.

> > The same thing could be presumably be implemented on top of the 2.4 Linux
> > mechanism; whether this would be a good idea, I won't pretend to know.
>
> The directory notifiers in 2.4 should be sufficient to do that.

Is there any user-level code akin to famd that takes advantage of this?
I know sgi's imon patches apply against 2.4, but the design there is
sort of flawed (if anything is being monitored, /all/ file operations
will generate an imon event inside the kernel and cause the hash table
to be searched -- the next implementation was to replace the op table for the
relevant inode with functions that did notification ater calling the
underlying fs's ops, but that hasn't been done yet)

	- Vlad