Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

> SGI's FAM solved this problem by making change-notification a network service
> that ran on the file server.

They pretended to solve it. In actual fact since the FAM notifiers have no idea
whether the client has cached old copies and because you cant resolve the
file handles predictably I dont believe it ever worked reliably.

> The same thing could be presumably be implemented on top of the 2.4 Linux
> mechanism; whether this would be a good idea, I won't pretend to know.

The directory notifiers in 2.4 should be sufficient to do that.

Alan