Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

Alan Cox <alan redhat com> writes:

> > I would also like to second Havoc's statement about having node monitoring
> > or some other form of kernel level
> > file modification notification. Other modern operating systems have had this
> > ability for years.
>
> We have it in Linux 2.4. It doesn't work over NFS because NFS doesn't support
> notifications (and NFS isnt cache coherent anyway so don't worry that much).

SGI's FAM solved this problem by making change-notification a network service
that ran on the file server.

The same thing could be presumably be implemented on top of the 2.4 Linux
mechanism; whether this would be a good idea, I won't pretend to know.

Regards,
                                        Owen