Re: File Dialog

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 01:31:02PM -0400, Liam Quin wrote:

> If you have a metaphor for your documents, it should exist at all levels.
> Files are documents tidily arranged on an infinite scrolling desk,
> with little holes in the desk that drop down to embedded infinite tidy
> desks called "subfolders".
>
> So to save you should navigate to the right infinite desk and copy your
> file into the appropriate position in the tidiness.
>
> If this metaphor isn't what we want, we shouldn't have gmc or nautilus.

Eh, I personally think that this metaphor kinda sucks, but we're sort of
stuck wth it.  A database approach, perhaps similar to the BeOS filesystem,
would be rather cool..  you could do all sorts of things like have files
appear in different 'categories' without doing something like symlinks
in folders, do vfolders on files and metadata, etc.  but, in any case,
we're probably stuck with the current metaphor, so I suppose we need to
put a pretty face on it.

	- Vlad