Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

Alan Cox <alan redhat com> writes:

> > SGI's FAM solved this problem by making change-notification a
> > network service that ran on the file server.
>
> They pretended to solve it. In actual fact since the FAM notifiers
> have no idea whether the client has cached old copies and because
> you cant resolve the file handles predictably I dont believe it ever
> worked reliably.

I don't actually see the (protocol) problem here. Since there is
no read-caching in the NFS protocol, upon notification from the
server, the notifee/NFS client can simply flush any cached data
for the object and read new data from the server.

Regards,
                                        Owen