Re: New KDE web site.

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 08:57:45PM -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

>> I used PHP for dynamic pages, instead of the other proposed solution, which
>> was to generate some include files with external scripts using cron, and then
>> using server-side includes to put them into the dynamic page, which I
>> consider a more kludgy solution.

> I'm not sure what type of use case you are talking about here - are you
> talking about inserting database query results into pages, or just the
> basic headers & footers on pages that must be dynamically output (like
> search results).

The main page that I used PHP on where people thought it wasn't strictly
necessary, was the front page.

Here, I used inline PHP that wrote to a cache file if the file was older than
a certain time, and then included the file in the page, instead of the other
suggestion, which was having a separate script write the cache file, invoke
that script from cron, and make the front page shtml, so that the cache file
could be included in the page as a simple server-side include. I considered
the cron solution to be more complex and kludgy than the pure PHP one, where
everything lived in one script. Others might disagree. This is a tangent,
anyway.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer