Re: signal-to-noise on d-d-l

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 05:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > What's particularly sad is that two years ago d-d-l /was/ a pretty high
> > signal/noise list- lots of good, important development conversations, and
> > it was a good list for any relative newbie who wanted to understand what
> > was going on. I think any healthy project that wants to think of itself as
> > a single project needs a main list- d-d-l has been that list, and is in
> > danger of splintering, which sucks.
>
> Much agreement from the cheap seats. I have had some suggestions coming
> about this:
>
>   * The gnome-hackers/gnome-private/gnome-hackers-readonly mess should be
>     unfucked, it should be open for all to read, post and subscribe (except
>     gnome-private), and it should be the recommended place for cross-project
>     discussions - the 'main list' you mentioned above. I totally agree with
>     that idea.
>
>   * desktop-devel-list should go back to being for discussion and management
>     of the GNOME Desktop release and modules *only*.
>
>   * A developer announce list should be created for announcement of major
>     changes, documentation, release management stuff, and so on. The only
>     reason I haven't created this already is that I didn't want to make big
>     changes mid-release, and I haven't decided on a name. ;-) I'm thinking
>     devel-announce-list or something. We should open this and subscribe
>     everyone on d-d-l to it when we open 2.7.

Maybe we need some way to make sure that people subscribe to that list
when they subscribe to desktop-devel-list. I think one reason that
people post announcements to desktop-devel-list is because they know
people are not subscribed to gnome-announce. Creating another
announcement list might not change that.

Maybe some kind of gnome-policy list might take the big rambling threads
away.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com