Re: widget update

<quote who="Shaun McCance">

> Working with an existing software map could really minimize the amount
> of headache on our end.  One thing I thing would be really nice for a
> software map (and this is something we could work on upstream with some
> provider like the FSF directory) is having a localized software map.
> All of our applications already have names and comments localized in
> their .desktop files.  If we could make something where the app's entry
> could be updated from the .desktop file, that would be way cool.  Maybe
> somthing automagic could even be made to happen with install-module.

Yeah, I was talking to Edd about this kinda stuff a while back; he has a
cool project which might be helpful in this regard. However, I want to start
off with existing code, and provide patches, rather than doing it all
ourselves. I've started contacting the FSF and Freshmeat about other ways of
going about this too. Hopefully, something useful will come out of it.

> Also shouldn't themes (as in, art.gnome.org) be able to be handled by
> the same piece of underlying code?  If we had something that provided a
> nice XML feed of some sort, we should be able to put different frontends
> on top of it.

That would be kind of neat; will talk to Alex about it.

- Jeff

   "I think it will be admitted by all that to have exploited so great a
     scientific invention for the purpose and pursuit of entertainment
    alone would have been a prostitution of its powers and an insult to
        the character and intelligence of the people." - John Reith