Re: widget update

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 04:56, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 27/04/2004 5:43 PM, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> >>and instead fixing the Free Software Directory that FSF is maintaining in
> >>cooperation with UNESCO?
> >>
> >>  http://www.fsf.org/directory/
> >>
> >>It seems like a worthwhile project.
> >>

> >Veeeery iiiiinteresting, thanks for pointing that out!
> >

> I remember at one point that announcements for GTK related projects from
> freshmeat used to be syndicated to www.gtk.org.  Maybe it would be
> possible to get a feed of updates to packages in the gui/gnome category?

Working with an existing software map could really minimize the amount
of headache on our end.  One thing I thing would be really nice for a
software map (and this is something we could work on upstream with some
provider like the FSF directory) is having a localized software map.
All of our applications already have names and comments localized in
their .desktop files.  If we could make something where the app's entry
could be updated from the .desktop file, that would be way cool.  Maybe
somthing automagic could even be made to happen with install-module.

Also shouldn't themes (as in, art.gnome.org) be able to be handled by
the same piece of underlying code?  If we had something that provided a
nice XML feed of some sort, we should be able to put different frontends
on top of it.

--
Shaun