(no subject)

Hi Guys,

first, many thanks for the great Gnome 2.4 and the overall good
release planning. Where else do we see a release precisely the day of
the schedule?

But IMHO there is also room for some improvements:

1) One week between two beta release is just too short. Eg. tarballs
   for beta2 were due to August 25th, the release was announced on
   August, 31 [1] and the tarballs for RC-1 were requested one day
   later on September, 1st. One day is definetly too short to compile
   the whole release, test it, report bugs and try to fix the
   errors. For eog I got some reports, but I had zero time to fix them
   for RC-1. IMO there should be _at least_ two weeks between two
   releases.

2) Around June we missed or delayed some release dates quite
   badly. But the different freeze dates (IIRC UI freeze) weren't
   shifted. IMHO it's bad to freeze something without having enough
   testers to look at it before. Maybe the freeze dates should be bound
   to releases (like: feature freeze after beta 2.3.2).

3) The release schedule on the website should be up to date. This was
   not always the case. It's irritating sometimes. [Ok this one, is
   probably only a lack of time or manpower :]

However, please take this as constructive criticism. I really appreciate
all the work the release team have done for Gnome 2.4 and hope you
will continue your efforts so that we see a great Gnome 2.6.

Best wishes,

   Jens

1:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2003-August/msg00119.html