Re: Daemons [Was: gob inside gnome-vfs ...]

Hi Seth,

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 01:37, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > They're a bit of a pain from an administrative and support perspective,
> > things like oafd/bonobo processes lying around (Michael says the b-a one
> > cane be fixed now, with some careful thought), gconfd versions,
> > gnome-settings-daemon running or not, etc.

	They shouldn't lie around, so ...

> I would propose we create a single super-daemon which you can write
> "plugins" for (that run in their own threads).

	Sigh - this is really not going to work nicely - especially since you
almost always want to use CORBA to communicate with the daemon - and
that's not going to like threads.

	Also, it would seem to make no sense to glub together a gnome-vfs
daemon, the gconf daemon, the a11y daemon and bonobo-activation (eg.)

	I think it's probably better to make bonobo-activation more intelligent
with respect to daemons & displays [ a <daemon> tag in the .server file
? ] - and allow it to fork / reap daemons as the desktop starts / exits
etc.

	I don't think there is really a problem with lots of small daemon
processes, as long as they all go away cleanly - especially if they have
distinct roles. The stability argument alone is quite telling I think.

	Regards,

		Michael.