Re: [GNOME VFS] gob inside gnome-vfs ...

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 12:13, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 16:22, Alex Graveley wrote:
> > Internal module usage of other modules is near nil, and there seems to
> > be little shared code between the modules that would be helped by a
> > GObject switch.
>
> 	The fact that few modules use each other, is not an argument for this
> not happening in future. Also, there are some quite good cleanliness,
> and standardization arguments - if this can all be done with minimal API
> additions etc. That is if GObject instantiation is fast enough - which
> it can probably be made. There's no need to use signals for anything, so
> GObject would just formalize & standarize the existing structure which
> is a great improvement to my mind.

Yes, it is.  Modules can already use the public gnome-vfs api to talk to
other modules.  GObject-izing is a big chunk of work, won't bring any
cleanliness to existing code, and is going to be the cause for many
subtle races, I suspect.

Besides, 2.x is about user-visible changes.  What is user-visible about
this work [1]?

-Alex

[1] Instead, why isn't time being spent on things apps can actually use
to make visible changes... a capabilities api, a metadata api outside of
nautilus, a file searching interface, fixing the http module, cleaning
the existing disgusting code, GThread-izing, security-auditing, *archive
support*, blah blah blah blah... [2]

[2] Forgive the random bitching.

--
"I don't find excessive sanity a virtue."