Re: Alt and Meta (Was: Nautilus bugs and design choices)

[does this really need to be so widely crossposted?]

Mandrake Linux binds the right Windows key to compose (Multi_Key)
by default.  Well, compose doesn't seem to work in gnome 2, but
once that's fixed :-) people outside the USA, or people using
characters (£¿é) beyond those on the keyboard, find this useful.

Similarly, gnome panel uses the left windows key to pop up a
menu by default, and I think that's OK too. There's another key
on this keyboard with a picture of a mouse pointer trying to
open an oven; I have no idea what it's for (downloading Cooker?)
but I'd happily use it as a keyboard equiv. of bringing up the
context menu.

I agree with jlbec that yuo can't rely on people having these keys;
you also can't rely on them being unused.

Liam

Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org
Author, Open Source XML Database Toolkit, Wiley August 2000
Co-author: The XML Specification Guide, Wiley 1999; Mastering XML, Sybex 2001