Re: GNOME 2.0.x and 2.x: The Plan

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 16:20, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Morning all!
>
> Thanks again to everyone who contributed to our successful G2D release. It
> has received a truckload of praise, some great criticisms and some... less
> than helpful ones [ but the protagonists behind most of those will be all
> the more surprised when they actually install G2D ;-) ].
>
> With that rather enormous task and all of the big freezes behind us, we can
> put out some maintenance releases and get cracking on coolnewstuff again!
>
> After much discussion between the release team and Foundation Board reps
> (Havoc and Nat), we have prepared a timeline for 2.0.x releases and a
> proposal for the beginnings of 2.1 development. Here 'tis.

Notably missing from these lists is accessibility, which was called
out in the GNOME Foundation announcement as a GNOME 2 feature which would be
improving over time.

I would propose that we aim to clean up keynav in 2.0.1, at the moment it's
too broken to be usable.

Targeting theme compliance (usability with 'accessibility' themes like
HighContrastLargePrint) would seem to be feasible in 2.0.2, provided we agree
to a couple of subtle UI changes which might be required, for instance a
2-pixel increase in panel height may be needed to accommodate focus
indication (also required for usable keynav).

In any case I think that if we don't put accessibility explicitly back on the
roadmap, it's not going to happen.  The "ATK" and "at-spi" work is actually
in better shape at the moment.  GNOME 2's highly-visible problems are around
keynav and theme compliance, which don't require special assistive
technologies to be useful.  Keyboard navigation is the lynchpin of
accessibility, without it GNOME can't be made usable users who are blind,
have RSI or other mobility impairments, and is much less usable by users
with low vision also.

regards,

Bill