GNOME 2.0.x and 2.x: The Plan

Morning all!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to our successful G2D release. It
has received a truckload of praise, some great criticisms and some... less
than helpful ones [ but the protagonists behind most of those will be all
the more surprised when they actually install G2D ;-) ].

With that rather enormous task and all of the big freezes behind us, we can
put out some maintenance releases and get cracking on coolnewstuff again!

After much discussion between the release team and Foundation Board reps
(Havoc and Nat), we have prepared a timeline for 2.0.x releases and a
proposal for the beginnings of 2.1 development. Here 'tis.

2.0.x
-----

Much of the work for 2.0.1 was done during the freezes leading up to G2D's
release, so our hopes and plans for a couple of aggressive point releases
are looking very achieveable. Our main goals for 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 are:

  - Fast integration of the UI review changes
  - General bug and performance fixes
  - Portability fixes
  - Translations and documenation

Here's the schedule:

       July 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
      1  2  3 (4) 5  6  You Are Here :-)
   7  8  9 10 11 12 13
  14 15 16 17 18(19)20  FREEZE: Strings & User Interface for 2.0.1 & 2.0.2
  21 22 23 24 25(26)27  Weekly Snapshot
  28 29 30 31

      August 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
               1 (2) 3  Weekly Snapshot
   4  5  6  7  8 (9)10  RELEASE: G2D 2.0.1
  11 12 13 14 15 16 17
  18 19 20 21 22(23)24  Weekly Snapshot
  25 26 27 28 29(30)31  Weekly Snapshot

     September 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
   1  2  3  4  5 (6) 7  RELEASE: G2D 2.0.2
   8  9 10 11 12 13 14
  15 16 17 18 19 20 21
  22 23 24 25 26 27 28
  29 30

Tarballs are due on the Monday of each release week. The initial string/ui
freeze serves both releases - changes of this nature beyond the freeze will
need to be confirmed by the release team. This schedule does not rule out
further point releases if required.

2.1.x
-----

Whilst much of the serious 2.1.x work will come after 2.0.2 and the Boston
Summit <http://www.gnome.org/summit/>, there are lots of cool new things
already being hacked on. This short summary of our branching plan will
hopefully keep things sane until then (a lengthier proposal will come Real
Soon Now).

  gnome-2-0:

    - for work on GNOME 2.0.x stuff if you need to branch for 2.1 (see HEAD)
    - acceptable changes include bugfixes, translations, documentation and
      ui review patches; everything else requires release team confirmation
    - almost goes without saying, but... it should always build / work

  HEAD:

    - for work on GNOME 2.1 stuff, UI/string changes
    - should always build / work! edible dogfood for everyone!
    - please use a private branch for experimental stuff

Microbranches for 2-0-x (used during the 2.0.0 freeze period) should now be
merged back into gnome-2-0 for inclusion in 2.0.x releases.

All of this will be going up onto dotplan soon. Thanks,

- Jeff

--
             make: *** No rule to make target `whoopee'.  Stop.