Re: Rethunk FTP Proposal

> Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:
>
>>   - the major-minor directories under sources rely on acceptance of
>>     Frederic's GEP to be completely sensible. Frederic's
>>     yet-to-be-published GEP will provide standard versioning for GNOME
>>     modules.
>
> Remember that there will be plenty of stuff in GNOME releases not
> conforming to that "GNOME versioning" ... libxml, libesd, gtk+, pango,
> etc.
>
> So, anything that depends on version numbers following the GNOME
> release numbers isn't going to work.

Yeah, I think I mentioned in the original email that the major-minor
version numbers are only self-consistent for the modules, not for major
GNOME releases. We couldn't do that, because we have different kinds of
GNOME releases, and there are so many modules that don't fit in, as you've
said.

The sources tree is relevant to modules only.

> That being said, the basic scheme looks fine; I was unable to put
> the devel Pango release up the other day since there was no place
> for it in the current scheme...

Yeah, it's been hard working out where to put other stuff too. Jody put out
a 2.1.x control-center the other day too...

Thanks heaps for your comments, first I've had (or at least come across in
my inbox today). :-)

- Jeff

--
  So, "Jeffrey" seems to mean "the ineffectual, victimised guy in
  American movies" in four different languages.