Re: foobar (menubar) suggestions

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 03:07:02AM -0700, George wrote:
> Yeah.  Even if there was no bevel it would only work if the applet was the
> widest one on the panel. [...]
Or if there was an option to align applets with the bottom of the panel.

> Anyway, that would be the wrong solution anyway cuz the panel without the
> bevel looks like ass.  IMO at least.
Hmm, I don't have a bevel in this theme; however, a bevel on 3 sides would
look just fine I think.

Some window managers implement "stickiness" such that it's easy to
move a window so it aligns with the edge of the screen or touching
other windows.  They slow the mouse pointer down or stop it entirely
for a short time, making it seem as if the edges of the screen are lined
with little magnets that attract the mouse, so you have to use extra
effort to escape them..

I've often thought it would help to have a similar feature for buttons,
so that the mouse would eagerly leap into a button but would only
reluctantly leave it.  (It'd also be nice to be able to get tactile
feedback, a brief vibration in the mouse, but the hardware isn't
quite there yet for most users...)

So
* maybe no bevel on the "flat" edge of the panel
* maybe offer to align the applets with the flat edge
* maybe support "magnetic buttons" so that the slightest motion
  of the pointer device when the pointer is at the extreme edge of the
  sceren would jump straight to the nearest button, if one was
  within "range.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/