Re: official support for more scripting languages in gnome needed

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 01:39:42PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> What I propose is to make popular scripting languages like Python and Perl
> [...]  a requirement of gnome (so e.g. gnome won't run without them)

I think Gnome is already large; using Python or Perl for a gnome app
is fine, but *requiring* Python, Perl, Ruby, Prolog, LISP etc. to be
installed before *any* Gnome software runs, won't fly.

Not everyone has fast powerful machines.  I have a 200MHz PI with 64 MBytes
of RAM here (and a more powerful laptop).  Linux is popular because it
runs on lower-end machines.

Let's not make GNOME the desktop for Rich Kids Only.
I'd like to see work on reducing the memory and install footprint a *lot*.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org