Re: official support for more scripting languages in gnome needed

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Paolo Molaro wrote:

> On 03/22/01 James Henstridge wrote:
> > Just out of interest, are those times for startup only, or startup and
> > shutdown?
>
> They were measured with time python testfile.py, so yes, they
> include shutdown time. Adding an exit call after the gtk import
> improves things a little bit (0.715 -> 0.670 on the same setup).
> BTW: I just checked the python modules were actually precompiled
> and they are (if I delete the .py[co] files times get much worse,
> I wish precompiling perl code could get the same 4x speed
> improvements:-).

Well, the .pyc files aren't exactly precompiled python files -- they are
the a serialisation of the parse tree.  They still need to be
interpreted.  The creation of all the python objects defined in gtk.py
probably accounts for a fair amount of the startup time.  This should be a
lot better in head.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au