Re: gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
> But in this case a judgement call on the feature is wrong, because you
> can not make this decision for others.  You have no way of predicting
> what a user using the GNOME terminal will be doing.
>
> If you are using the GNOME Terminal, which is the least of the
> end-user applications, the last thing you want to do is remove
> important functionality.

Well that's the heart of the disagreement - my claim is that a) not
many people are doing this and b) if they are, and we remove this
functionality, the consequences aren't particularly severe and they
will live through it. Ergo, it is not important functionality at all.
And in fact for the vast majority of users it is _actively bad_
functionality. That is the main issue, that we are putting the needs
of 5% ahead of the needs of 95%.

As a side issue, I am saying that the feature is not even correct,
because I do not want to set this globally for all terminals even if I
want to set it.

Havoc