gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

Hi,

Can someone explain what is up with the "swap delete/backspace" and
"delete generates del/^H" options in gnome-terminal?

There is a way this is supposed to work. That is documented here:
 http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s10.8

The options are basically "please break my terminal, thanks" buttons.

Can we get rid of them and just make it work properly? I am tired of
getting bug reports because someone has toggled these or has old
defaults left in ~/.gnome that are wrong.

Havoc