Re: gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

> Can someone explain what is up with the "swap delete/backspace" and
> "delete generates del/^H" options in gnome-terminal?

They are required when you log into a remote system, and the user does
not know that it is really simple to type `stty erase ???'.  Although
the user can learn to read the manual, I have seen people that after
using the thing for two years still do not know the trick.

The setting in gnome-terminal allows those people to be productive
without figuring that when you ssh into sgi/hp you have to read the
man page for `stty' and figure out that `stty erase' is what they are
looking for.

> Can we get rid of them and just make it work properly? I am tired of
> getting bug reports because someone has toggled these or has old
> defaults left in ~/.gnome that are wrong.

We are going to get way more bug reports/complains if we remove them.

Miguel.