Re: Bugzilla summary

On 21 Nov 2000 00:01:07 +0100, Martin Baulig wrote:

>> >         WORKSFORME
>> >                 All attempts at reproducing this bug were futile, reading
>> >                 the code produces no clues as to why this behavior would
>> >                 occur. If more information appears later, please re-assign
>> >                 the bug, for now, file it.
>> >                 (some people suggested adding a new INCOMPLETE, but I thin
>> >                  we can use WORKSFORME for this).

>Just got some feedback from a frequent bug reporter in personal mail and he
>suggested to rename this to INCOMPLETE since this gives people a better idea
>about what is wrong (the developer needs more info).

Personally, I think there are two distinct states here:

INCOMPLETE ---- I don't have enough information to determine if this
                bug is real or not, but let's keep it around just in
                case.

WORKSFORME ---- I have tried to reproduce this bug without success,
                even under the (possibly complete) circumstances
		provided by the reporter.

Or is that too fine a level of distinction?

>> One to throw in
>>
>> 	VOLUNTEER
>> 		We accept it needs fixing but nobody has the time to do this
>> 		job. We'll take submissions.
>>
>> (A handy one for hackers to search on when bored) - ok you actually covered
>> this in keywords..
>
>Yeah, I think it's not so good to have this as a bug status - for instance
>you may want to keep a bug ASSIGNED to you but still appreciate some help with
>it.

A related question: what is the preferred status for bugs reported on
platforms which the maintainer doesn't have access to?  I'd like
some way to leave them in the system, possibly as unconfirmed, but
also ask for confirmation (and additional information) from those who
have access to that platform.  Would that be keyword: HELPWANTED?  Or
something else?

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999