Re: stupid gconf patch

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:19:42PM -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2000, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > So why is libxml not in includedir/gnome-xml anymore? This can't have
> > changed in the stable platform. I don't understand how this patch
> > could work.

  Just for sanity checking, you did read the latest section of
   http://xmlsoft.org/upgrade.html
labelled "Ensuring both libxml-1.x and libxml-2.x compatibility", do you ?

> I think this is (a) part of an attempt to make gconf work with libxml 2.x

  Right and libxml v2 includes are in /usr/include/libxml/

> (b) a patch to make gconf use the EXTREMELY BROKEN (Daniel, are you
> listening) libxml include path setup...

  Yep, I do ...

> I REALLY WISH that libxml would refer to its header files in the same way
> gtk/bonobo/all-the-other-packages-in-the-world do. I think the main reason
> it doesn't is because of problems getting it to find its header files when
> building source. I know how to fix it if Daniel wants help (hint hint :)

  Dear Eliott,

 if you had a look at a recent version of libxml, i.e. v2, you would see
that it uses #include <libxml/....h> everywhere.
 Considering v1 the HACKING file in it says:

-----------------
I don't use v1 much anymore, and the Gnome folks are the main
users of this version. Feel free to patch, commit and send me mail
when you find a bug and need it fixed.
-----------------

  So don't hesitate ! Be also ready to deal with the users of libxml1
if your change is too incompatible.
  Also note that #include <libxml/....h> is possible with recent packages
of libxml v1 because there is a "ln -s . libxml" installed in
/usr/include/gnome-xml (unless the RPM you used had destroyed this
compatibility hack I put in place in mine and asked Matt Wilson to preserve
in the Red Hat distro).

  yours :-),

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/