Re: Possible New User Interface Design Directions

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Michael Beurskens wrote:

> combination of "Tasks" and "multiple desktops" would be a great
> improvement. There may be a "Tasks" menu added to the Gnome
> (Foot)-menu, containing (initially) items like "Save current desktop
> layout as new task"  "Snap Windows to borders / Tile Windows" {to have

Even more options into the Gnome menu? Try a little harder to think beyond
windows-paradigms. :-)  An option like this has existed since the early
nineties in OS/2's Workplace Shell, where you can place arbitrary objects
like spreadsheet files or program objects in a folder and designate that
folder as a 'work area' (iirc) via its Properties notebook. Then, if you
open that folder, all of its contained documents would open with the
application that created them.

A virtual desktop as a a task area is not a bad idea but I'd rather see
this option under a right-click context menu on empty desktop space, or
perhaps as an option under the Desktop menu.

--

Reinout van Schouwen
e-mail    : reinout cs vu nl

== Red KinK FM! http://www.redkink.nl/ ==