Virtual Directory Structure

I just posted this to the Nautilus feature request list - is it appropriate to this list too?

Linux's directory structure is pretty arcane for a newcomer - bin, boot, etc and so on.  And they seem to be repeated in subdirectories too.

I think a simpler directory paradigm would make Linux much more approachable for newcomers.

Would it be possible to have Nautilus present a user's home directory as the root directory with just a few key directories thereunder?  For example, at the top of the directory, a user would see "My Home" or "My Computer" and underneath that would be directories like "System", "Other Users", "Hardware/Devices", "My Desktop", "My Documents", "My Trash", "Settings".  The normal root directory structure could simply be presented under "System".  Anything in the user's home directory starting with "." could be presented under "Settings".  The average computer user (not programmer/Linux user/sysadmin etc) might never need to look in "System".

Could Nautilus implement this sort of "Virtual" directory structure, leaving the normal (actual) directory structure untouched?  I imagine a feature like this could be turned on and off depending upon a user's particular level.  For example, spouse/kids who are more accustomed to MS products could be presented with the virtual directory structure whereas the machine owner might prefer traditional directory structure.

Would also be good if open/save dialog boxes adhered to it.

Cheers

Chris