Re: gnome-gui-list digest, Vol 1 #264 - 2 msgs

> John Kodis wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:18:55AM -0400, Kevin
> Vandersloot wrote:
>
> > For Nautilus in single click mode you can hold
> down CTRL and select any
> > number of icons with a button press.
>
> I understand that MS and Mac desktops have a similar
> feature.

True, but the mac used the shift key for discontinuous
selection. I'll need to change ctrl to shift when I'm
get around to forking Nautilus. Just one more M$ism to
hunt down and kill (sigh)

> select a set of 15 items, the user clicks to select
> the first item,
> and then control-clicks to select the subsequent 14.
>  So the only
> difference between single and double click
> activations is whether the
> first item is selected using click, or
> control-click.  To my mind, the
> "click to activate, control-click to select"
> approach seems more
> consistant and easier to use for the common case of
> object activation.

One problem with single click activation is that it
breaks consistency with things like lists and columned
lists (CLists). You often have cases where single
clicking on those things selects stuff, and double
clicking activates the item and does something like
bring up a dialog or play an mp3. Also when dealing
with text, single clicking performs a selection-type
role. Finally, single-clicking on icon file names is
often used turn the file name into a text field that
can be edited. So you

But apparently some idiot in Redmond Washington
decided to squander the Enter key on

One of the advantages of double clicking is that it
performs sort of a activation confirmation role. It's
harder to accidently double-click than to single
click.

An interesting feature that might suit people who
absolutely have to single click (for some reason I
don't quite understand) would be the button view in
MacOS. You can view icons as buttons that you can
single s

A final drawback

The advantage of double clic