Re: Questions

"Michael T. Babcock" wrote:

> > jwhite sonic net (2001-05-21 at 1830.20 -0700):
> > > graphics or multi-media production on a command line, but why can a lot
> > > of people get certain kinds of work done more quickly at a command line
> > > if they're used to it than in a GUI?
> >
> > Seriously, change the cryptic CLI shells to a natural languaje one and
> > make it smarter (artificial inteligence), and you get what people will
> > be able to use quickly cos it will be like giving orders to another
> > person, but machine based so it is targeted at repetitive and boring
> > tasks: "Machine, process my mail, do a resume of it and also show me
> > titles of all work messages" (and that via voice or keyboard, whatever
> > user wants / can).
>
> If you ever do that to my CLI, I'll personally ask it to "mail bomb the guy
> who wrote this code" :-)
>
> My CLI is fast because its commands are short and terse and pipeable.  Did
> you ever work with (or know someone who worked with) AutoCAD with dual
> monitors?  It was wonderful to type in the commands to build objects quickly
> and easily and have them appear on screen.

Natural language interfaces would most likely do different higher level
things, rather than being a replacement for the CLI. Consider the query
"Find me recipies for Indian curry dishes containing potatoes." you
wouldn't want to use a CLI to find this. Conversly you wouldn't want do
very precise operations (done now with a CLI) using a natural language
interface.

Mark