Re: Virtual Directory Structure

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Liam Quin">
>
> > The original question seems to me perfectly reasonable.  SGI had a go
> > at this with their file manager in IRIX too.
>
> A crucial part of this was discussed on gnome-hackers recently, regarding ~
> being used as the Nautilus desktop. Issues raised included the common
> directories that are non-dotfiles in ~, such as Mail, Maildir, Nautilus,
> Evolution, public_html, etc.
>
> If anyone has further experience from other desktop systems that do this (or
> specifically *don't*), please fill us in.
>
> [ The argument on gnome-hackers petered out, with most of the 'hacker types'
> saying it was a bad idea, the 'userey types' liking it, and a few 'in
> between' types wondering what would be done with the special directories. ]

It would seem that the gnome-desktop would be the place to start, surely
the virtual directory exists in a form already, with the device and home
icons on the desktop.  The virtual file system could be simply an
extension of the .gnome_desktop, and in any case, should not in any way
contradict the desktop.  I consider myself a "hacker", having pieced
together my gnome from source on top of an twice upgraded slackware,
but I support real world users, and find that I have to place
everything they need one or two clicks away from the desktop, else
they will not be able to find it.

--
Dominic Amann, <http://www.interlog.com/~damann/>
	Linux Based Solutions Ltd.,