RE: Virtual Directory Structure

> Then provide four modes: use new only, use old only, use new but
> tooltip shows old, use old but tooltip shows new (or instead of
> tooltip some other kind of easy clue). Of course, the config tool
> would use different phrasing, not "old" and "new".

Is there anything that prevents showing *both* names? The friendly name could be used as the "title", the real name could be used as the "actual URL". For example:

 [+] My Home   /home/foo
 [-] User Directories   /home/
    [+] J. Random Hacker   jrh/
    [+] Joe Avarage User   joeuser/
 [+] Removable media   /mnt/
 [+] Hardware Devices   /dev/

etc.

This makes sure that nothing is hidden, plus it makes it easier for experienced users to help a newbie. Filename text boxes etc. could continue to show the normal folder names. And I don't think it gets much more difficult for newbies. Actually, it's quite similar to web browsing, where the text of a hyperlink is not equal to the name of the referenced file.

> Problems:
> - hides a bit

...this does not (shows more, actually).

> - does use " ", "_" and "/" like old style, so I guess people will
> tear clothes (I guess they are happy with interfaces that give no
> clues and do weird things, like some webpages)

... this does not.

> - new things are not automatically translated, you have to add some
> config to the system if new dirs appear, until then, a mix appears

This is a problem that can be solved quite easily: Just have a hidden file in each folder (.foldersettings or something) that keeps its name and its tooltip explanation. If there's no file, show just the normal name.

Joerg