RE: New GNOME UI Proposal

On 28 Jun 2001 20:35:55 +0200, Jörg Rathlev wrote:
> Ooops. Yes... but what I wanted to say is that MS certainly had a
> reason to have single click *NOT* the default any more. (As I said, I
> believe it was default in Windows 98, but at least in Windows 2000, I
> think the default is double click. I don't know about Windows Me or
> xp).

Microsoft's single click implementation was pretty bad. When you hovered
above an icon for a few seconds the file got automaticly selected, this
was a real pain when trying to select multiple files.

But I've always like KFM, Konqueror and Nautilus' way of doing it, to
select a file use Ctrl+Click or drag a selection box around it.

Also, I think single click was only default in the first release of
Windows 98. Second edition didn't use it by default IIRC.

> Anyway, I agree that it's not a good idea, because browsing web pages
> and managing files are not very related tasks (at least not if you'd
> like to do a little more than just open files).

If you use the context menu, which you have to use on the desktop
anyway, you never really have to select a single file. I'm not sure what
the advantages of double clicking are actually.

> Jörg

Jonas