Re: Reprise of the panel layout proposal

glynn foster sun com (2001-06-25 at 1228.46 +0100):
> Well I'm currently working on multi-session support for the panel...
> well 'working' is a rather strong word, as I haven't actually started
> it yet....but gnome-session will be linked into the panel...ie.
> according to what your session is, a suitable panel will be loaded...
> so if the session is failsafe, a failsafe panel will be loaded...

Currently if you use --failsafe it loads the config from a file, IIRC
the file with defaults.

> I know this doesn't address the user's experience at all...but..

It does: you can save sessions and have settings that work, so you can
always have a Suicide session for experiment.

> Oh, I hope this will change in the future...I hope that it will, but
> sometimes you want a 'failsafe' failsafe....and a plain X env would
> do just perfect for that :)

You can have both: full failsafe, GNOME failsafe. And lots more, just
look at the provided examples, it is not hard to do new ones, below is
a GNOME failsafe based in normal one.

---8<---
#!/bin/bash -login

for errfile in "$HOME/.gnomerc-errors-failsafe" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/gnomerc-${USER}-failsafe" "/tmp/gnomerc-${USER}-failsafe"
do
        if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
        then
                chmod 600 "$errfile"
                exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
                break
        fi
done

exec /usr/bin/gnome-session --failsafe
--->8---

What is more, I will move Failsafe to SingleXTerm or X-Failsafe, so
people really know what they will get, and the one above should be
GNOME-Failsafe or Recover-GNOME.

Note: yes, I changed the error file, so that way there is a hope that
last session errors can be read. And if failsafe also goes nuts, you
have both files for the autopsy.

GSR