Re: Proposal for default panel layout

In a general sense, eventually any UI issue comes down to solving a
problem of how the user & the software communicate.

And for any UI problem, the easy part is coming up with possibilities &
alternatives. The hard part comes earlier -- refining the definition of
the problem space well enough to have a metric for how well a given
solution works. Without that, there's no basis for choosing among a set
of alternatives.

To build a "user interface" you need to have a concept of a "user". One
of the things the gnome-gui project seems to be missing is an adequate
definition of who the target user(s) are.  The well-known GUIs -- Win,
Mac, Be, Next, et al -- were each designed to appeal to different types
of users.

For that reason, GNOME's GUI won't be successful if it's a bunch of
stuck-together ideas from other GUIs without its own focus. It also
won't be successful if the mission is to make it the ideal UI for anyone
and any application -- that's not realistic.

When I see a call to action like "let's make it intuitive" it begs the
question "intuitive FOR WHOM"? If you don't know, then all that's
definite is you're *changing* the UI, but you can't necessarily say
you're *improving* it.

MB