Re: VERY cool UI fix (long but hopefully interesting)

On 05 Jan 2001 11:15:59 -0800, delmar watkins wrote:

> Essentially, it is a really cool little fix that makes windows more
> compliant with Fitt's Law.  Fitt's Law (in a nutshell) says that the
> easiest thing to hit is something that is big and close.  What is the
> closest thing on a screen?  The edge, because you don't have to slow down
> or navigate to hit it;  you just throw your mouse to the edge, and you
> have hit it.  This little program uses the edge as a forward and back
> button (more below).

This is less than trivial on a large screen!

> One of the problems that Windows (and Gnome) has is that it does NOT use
> the edge for any useful purpose.  Helix menu items (favourites, programs,
> etc) are just a few pixels away from the edge, essentially ruining, by
> just a few pixels, a great interface design.  Items on the Gnome Taskbar
> are similar:  they are just a few pixels away from the edge.

Whilst GNOME may not use the edge as anything significant, its worth
remembering that the Window Manager may well do - edge-flipping desktops
or whatever.

Mike

--
Mike Newman, Weston-super-Mare, UK | http://www.gtnorthern.demon.co.uk
"I think the internet is the greatest waste of time since masturbation