Re: Gimp-style menus

mbabcock fibrespeed net (2001-04-16 at 0233.42 -0400):
> I would make the above last few questions hints for the window manager to
> take care of (the wonders of X).  As for following focus, they ought to
> behave just as tear-off context menus do.

How it that exactly? I have been playing with two gnome terms, and now
I have two menus, and I dunno which one is the children of a given
window until I try to redock it. At least the window depth is the
same, so I do not lose menus under other windows if I raise the parent
(which I only do if the window is covered in the area I need, not
always).

> My comments had little to do with
> implementation (code-wise) and all to do with presentation.  All of what
> drops down with a context click should be on a per-image menu (as a user
> would expect in a menu-per-application-window system) with the most
> context-related items on context menus, not the whole shabang.

Then where goes the filter or the selection menus, for example? If you
remove them you lose functions, if you split them (between right click
and top menu, ie) what rule do you use to decide which goes where?

> Microsoft Word 98 is pretty good at this, by the way.

Sorry, I do not use it (no Linux, BSD or similar versions).

> The toolbox could remain a toolbox.  The toolbox has too many things in it
> already (the pattern, etc. should be elsewhere as they relate to specific
> tools -- not crop, select, etc.).

You can hide them and use the full dialogs instead (I prefer to launch
them only when needed, and via doubleclicking this areas). Maybe it
should be off as default? I do not remember the defaults, but it is
possible, look in preferences.

GSR