Re: GNOME desktop mouse-menus, HOWTO?

nikita swissgalaxy ch (2000-09-14 at 1720.04 +0200):
[...]
> I'm new to Gnome but quite experienced with Linux,
> I figured out that there should be an ASCII file
> and/or a directory structure containing this, I found
> both /usr/share/gnome and /usr/share/sawfish but none of
> them contains what I get with my mouse (neither do my
> $HOME/.sawfish, nor $HOME/.gnome).

If not there, possible it is using the defaults. Apps do not save the
defaults normally, it is just a waste of space. Of course, some apps
like to waste and copy a full config to each user... a thing that
sucks if you have quotas and the config files are MB not KB.

> I found where the panel menues are configured and I guess
> the content of the "Programs" menu in button-2 should reflect
> the one configured in the Panel "Programs" menu.

It does not, they are different things. "Programs" of the root window
menu is Sawfish config, panel "Programs" is GNOME config.

> So, how and where should I add a personalized menu entry
> for button-2 and/or button-3?
> I also checked the Sawfish bindings but that just says
> "button2-Click1 -> Popup root menu", no menu entries.

You have to configure the root menu with Sawfish commands. Sawfish
user config is under ~/.sawfishrc file and ~/.sawfish/ dir. Maybe you
do not have ~/.sawfishrc, if you did not configured anything by hand.

Have you asked in Sawfish list? I think you did not. And I think you
missed menus.jl file (/usr/share/sawfish/VERSION/lisp/menus.jl in my
machine). Yes, Lisp fun! No, seriously, once somebody pushes you the
first time, you get things fast, so do not be scared about Lisp.

> Where is mapped button3?

It is left untouched by the window manager, so the app that controls
the desktop (at this moment GMC) receives the click.

You have to think X style: wm captures all it wants, and allows to
pass the rest. And more complicated things I have doubts about (does
"raise and pass click" generate a synth click or clones it?).

> And where is it configured?

No idea. I only use it to access the control center via the background
option (and only that, no icons, no rescan, just CC fast launcher).
Different use than planned by coder, but quite fast. Someday I will
add a true CC launcher somewhere. :]

GSR