Re: Splash screens: a summary

Le jeu, 26 oct 2000 15:50:35, Ken Fox a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > The problem with mouse pointers, if I remember well, is
> that
> > they aren't owned by any window. Granted, once an app is
> > launched, its windows may control the cursor *if* they
> have
> > the focus.
>
> If you're talking about X, then this isn't a problem **.
> Cursor shape
> is associated with a window, not with an application or
> keyboard
> focus. The thing that would be a neat extension to X would
> be a
> global cursor annotation that would survive cursor changes
> when moving
> over windows. For example, installing a "busy" cursor on
> the desktop
> background could set a busy annotation so that when the
> mouse is
> moved over the taskbar or window decorations the busy
> status doesn't
> disappear completely.

Well, X behaviour is fine with me. I don't want any app
changing the cursor when they don't have the focus. Because
guess what ? I often have one or two apps busily doing
things while I do something else in other windows.

One app may be busy. The system is often not. So changing
the cursor to busy when a single app is stuck or launching
is wrong IMHO. The cursor should reflect the status of the
app which has the focus, not of every single app in the
system that wants to do funny things with it.

And I've never undertood the whole point of keyboard focus
!= mouse focus != joystick focus != moo focus. You're
working with an app or not. You're not doing things in a
window with the keyboard while doing others with the mouse
elsewhere.

--
Nicolas