Re: Splash screens: a summary

Le jeu, 26 oct 2000 14:04:04, Jorge Ferrer Zarzuela a écrit
:

> As William Kendrik has said there is already an
> application
> which does almost everything that has been said. It's name
> is
> Xalf (http://www.lysator.liu.se/~altic/projects/xalf/)

Didn't tried it yet. Useless if splash-screens are on IMHO

> 1)Splash screen: IMO we all agree that they are not great,
> and
> should be turned off by default.

Die splash screen, die :))

> 3) Mouse change: I mean showing a clock or something
> similar as Windows
> or Macs do. It hasn't been discussed much but IMHO it has
> a big
> advantage comparing it with the entry at the task bar: The
> user locus
> (focus) of attention is at the mouse at the moment of
> launching the
> application, not at the task bar. Maybe options 2) and 3)
> could be used
> together.

The problem with mouse pointers, if I remember well, is that
they aren't owned by any window. Granted, once an app is
launched, its windows may control the cursor *if* they have
the focus.

But an app being lanched should not grab the focus or the
mouse pointer till it's got a functional window (and is no
longer being launched:). Therefore in a multitaskng
environment mouse pointers aren't a great solution during
launch time.

> Talking about configuration, I believe there should exist
> an option in the
> capplet to change the behaviour of allthe apps. This way
> if you don't
> like the default behaviour you can change it in all apps
> easily (not
>having to go app by app).
> > Then apps could have a configuration such as this one:
> (x) Use global launch feedback
> ( ) Use particular feedback
> [ ] Use splash screen
> [ ] Show clock at the cursor
> [ ] Show task entry

   [ ] allow splash screen once per version

(I don't mind seing the eye candy when it changes, and we
shouldn't hurt their creator's feelings too much:)

--
Nicolas