Re: User interface suggestions

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:

> The current interface is right (not perfect) cos you can turn off
> icons. Some of us hate them to death: just more clutter and not real
> info, my desktop shows near zero icons, I removed all I could (and
> rarelly use those apps that use them, except Gimp... where I use
> shortcuts and forget the toolbox). That is MHO, only applicable to me.

That's ok. But if some people love text-only-interfaces, other people love
icon-only-interfaces... :). I personally love mixed-text-icon-interfaces,
with icons as much as possible (for the menus too). Perhaps the hard point
will be to classify the icons in groups/levels of importance for the user
interface, so you'll be able to switch on or off each level to be shown
(in the control center I think). If you switch off all levels, you'll get
text-only-interface :).

> So being able to have more icons, OK, some people like them. But also
> being able to remove them completly from day zero, not like with the
> Gnome tool bars, where you can choose between icons or icons & text,
> but not text only (still waiting to have that option).

I agree...

> The about info box becomes less readable with the gradient,

Perhaps a bit less, but it's much more nice, don´t you think? :) I made
the "about" suggestion mainly to change the ¿boring? original design, but
maintaining part of the style...

> and not
> more useful as we talked here some days ago: clickable *and*
> selectable email addresses to send info to authors and bug systems,
> the same for web pages & translation team, a way to read a short cmd
> line params list or check what Deb/RPM/whatever installs this app
> (think "--help" in a console app).

I think so. It would be useful all information elements in the interface
to be live, with actions and properties.

> GSR

Thanks for your comments...

								Adrián

LILO

  CHOOSE OPERATING SYSTEM

    * To start Linux, press intro.

    * To start Monopoly95, type "dos" and press intro.

boot: _