Re: User interface suggestions

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Calum Benson wrote:

> Looking at your design for the "logout" box, I'd suggest if your three
> new icons should go anywhere, they should be on command buttons at the
> bottom of the dialog-- not used as labels for radio buttons, which
> (IMHO) adds unnecessary visual clutter.

Yes, it's a possibility. Perhaps 3 buttons for the options would be
clearer for the user than selecting from a list and clicking "Ok" or
"Yes". I did the proposal as similar as possible to the original, but
giving a new design.

> (It's also an idea that
> probably couldn't be generalised to other radio buttons in other
> dialogs, so you'd potentially be introducing inconsistencies in the look
> and feel across different GNOME apps.)

My idea was to give ideas for general use in gnome, not only in the logout
box, it means, a style to be used by all aplications.

> Having "yes" and "no" buttons on message boxes is generally a bad idea
> anyway, especially one as complex as this.  It would be better to have
> command buttons that match the possible actions (e.g. Logout, Shutdown,
> Restart, in this case).  That way the user is less likely to press the
> wrong button by mistake if they mis-read or misunderstood the question.

Yes, I agree. The clearer windows, the easier use.

> So, since GNOME command buttons allow an icon anyway, your three icons
> could then go on three buttons along the bottom of the dialog-- which
> also gives fussy users like me the opportunity to switch off the icons
> using the control center, and leave only the text  :o)

Yes, again my proposal is for aplications in general, for example when a
option list is shown, each option can have an icon before the sentence.

> Cheeri,
> Calum.

Thanks for your comments... cheers

								Adrián

LILO

  CHOOSE OPERATING SYSTEM

    * To start Linux, press intro.

    * To start Monopoly95, type "dos" and press intro.

boot: _